CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Friday, June 4, 2010

Heirloom Tomatoes (Again!)

I AM going to have fresh Heirloom tomatoes that I picked from the pots on my very own deck, one way or another...

So after my failed attempt at growing heirloom tomatoes from seed I was greatly encouraged when I discovered this wonderful Etsy shop, Horticopia.  They have a great variety of "Exotic and Heirloom Botanica."  I decided to go for the "ORGANIC Tomato Starts- INSTANT HEIRLOOM TOMATO GARDEN Create your own custom 6-pak" found in the Organic Edibles section of the shop.  The choices are incredibly numerous (at the time I bought they had 25 slicer varieties, 8 romas, 12 cherry varieties, though I think they have now sold out of several of the cherries).  I went for:
2 Pantano Romanesco
1 Purple Russian
1 Depps Pink Firefly
1 Striper Roman
1 Weeping Charley
These sounded like ones my family would enjoy and they were available right away (I believe that all of the varieties are now available to ship right away, I think they were just waiting for some of the varieties to mature a bit more and then allowing time to harden them off before shipping them out to people).

I wasn't entirely sure about the condition they would arrive in being shipped literally from coast to coast (Brisbane, CA to Reston, VA), but I was reassured by all the positive reviews they had from buyers, the promise of continued support for growing tips and advice and the prices were reasonable so I went for it.  I am glad I did :)










The unassuming package left on my doorstep and a first look inside




Under the newspaper, shredded paper packed around the fragile plants and all wrapped in a plastic bag. The soil was still moist and the plants looked like they'd had a smooth ride the whole way.




Now let's plant these babies...

0 comments:

Post a Comment