CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Frozen Buttercream Transfer

This year I decided I wanted to try something new for birthday cake time.  In the past I have used a 3-D sports ball cake pan to create a soccer ball and a train cake pan to create, well, a train.
So this year I decided I didn't want to use a shaped cake pan, but to decorate a regular sheet cake using a great technique I found online called Frozen Buttercream Transfer.  Then my husband gave me a suggestion that took it one step further - use a Carvel ice cream cake - yum!
I bought the cake at our local grocery store, it had balloons and "happy birthday" on it so I scraped off the baloons and it left the perfect space for my transfer - Lightning McQueen from Disney Pixar's "Cars"

I reversed an image of McQueen on the computer, printed it out, taped it to a piece of cardboard, then covered it with wax paper.  I then traced the picture with buttercream icing and put it in the freezer for half an hour.
Out of the freezer I carefully removed the cardboard and printed image then turned it over onto the cake and peeled back the wax paper, added a road to hide where I had scraped the baloons off and made a few minor touch ups.

I had a very pleased little boy.

(There are a bunch of great tutorials on FBT with step by step pictures if you google it)

0 comments:

Post a Comment