CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Kid Furniture!

I had been dying to try out some plans from Anna over at Knock-Off-Wood and decided my son's 3rd birthday party was the excuse I needed to get started.  I wanted to organize the kid corner of our living room better and provide a little activity area for the kids to color and do puzzles that was out of reach of my 9 month old.  I own basic tools and a good electric screwdriver/drill, but needed some heavier duty items so I borrowed a miter saw, air compressor, nailer and some countersink drill bits from some friends and headed off to Lowe's and Home Depot.


The bookcase is mdf framed in pine, I think next time I would use plywood (though slightly pricier) in place of the mdf becasue I did have some issues with splitting.  I used left over paint from my daughter's nursery to finish.


The kid's storage chair I modified from the plans for a Land of Nod knock-off by hinging the seat and adding the storage compartment under it instead of near the bottom of the legs.


The table was the simplest project of them all made mostly with scraps from the other projects.

Averaged out over the four pieces (there's a pink chair just like the blue one that has yet to be assembled) the costs came out to about $37 for the bookshelf and $30 a piece for the table and each chair.

I was able to get the three pieces shown completed in just under a week working almost exclusively during my kids naps and at night after they were in bed.

I have plans to resand these and fix some not so well finished spots and screw holes and a few bumps and bruises it has already received then prime, repaint and seal.  I ordered Safecoat primer and Safecoat Acrylacq sealer that I am so excited to use.
The primer is made without all the yucky stuff and "the least toxic product of it's type" and the sealer, oh the sealer, not only has low VOCs itself, but seals in outgassing from what you're putting it on!

0 comments:

Post a Comment